Friday 11 October 2013

A Personal Project (Making a difference)

Missionaries of Charity Orphanage - Kawale
A Personal Project (Making a difference)

Latest project to support Malawian orphans, a project, which, is very much close to my heart. For a number of years I have thought of doing something for orphans, but the opportunity till now has not let itself for me to do something positive. During a visit to Ghana, in 2008, on the recommendation of a pastor, I visited an orphanage in Accra. Following that experience I have been thinking along the lines of doing something, make a difference in the lives of children who in many cases have no one only the carers whom they look to as parents/guardians.
 Here I am again in Malawi, thinking about orphans yet again and what to do, and how to help our orphans around the global village. Some of the ideas that have come to mind have been should I support a child through education or adopt a child? Radical thinking, this is something that has been weighing heavily both on my heart and mind whether to or not to adopt a child for a number of years. The big question currently weighing again heavily on my mind this time round; do I really want to raise another child on my own, and can I? This requires much wisdom, I know I can do it if I apply my mind to it, but do I really want to? My heart says yes, the mind says, “ah! Too hard, too difficult”!  Not an easy decision to make right now, I am talking about a life of a child, someone else’s child, who sadly has lost everything and already in a vulnerable state of mind. No matter how well meaningful or intended, the gesture is. Things can happen which can throw the well-intended humanitarian effort into another life of misery for this child. The jury is still out on this. 
  I am currently supporting a Malawian child with his education, and a church initiative, a scholarship program for children. The objective behind the program is to help and support a number of children in Malawi to have a decent education.  The current education rate in Malawi is extremely low.   Not more than 70% or less of the Malawian population is educated.  The low end of the social-economic group are only educated to primary level.  Some children are fortunate enough to complete their secondary education and go on to further education, others sadly, have to leave mid-way through and find a job to support their families. A very sad life for a child, any child for that matter particularly for children in developing countries, maybe I should start campaigning free education for all globally.
Following a discussion with a colleague at the NMCM, of my intention, she immediately understood where I was coming from and wanted to help me. Amayi (madam) Charity told me of an orphanage in Lilongwe, which she had previously been involved in she kindly arranged contact and on Friday, 4th October we went together with my departmental driver.  
The orphanage was set up by the late a congregation pioneered by Mother Theresa, (Calcutta), known by the name “Missionaries of Charity” a woman with a big heart for children.  What we saw impressed me greatly.  Orderly, clean and the children all appeared to be happy and comfortable.  The total number of children is approximately sixty. Ranging from 0 to ten years of age. All the carers are female and the only male workers are the gardener and driver. There are a few number of children for adoptions, those are the ones with no living family members. The majority have living family members; father, grandparents, aunts and uncles. The children in this category are not for adoption. I took with me gifts of essential food; Malawian stable diet of maize flour, tea, milk, sweets, rice, Sobo squash, for a start. This was a great opportunity to find out what to bring the next time. 
I have volunteered my service over the Christmas period spending few days helping out, with feeding, bathing the children and playing with them. This will be a great opportunity to decide whether I want to go down the route to adopt a child in the near future.
Finally, I wish to appeal to all my readers of this blog worldwide to support the orphans of Kawale Missionaries Charity with goodies for Christmas.  The main cause for hospital admission for these children is malaria, and in the winter months, pneumonia. There is no heating to talk of in the orphanage, an electric heater perhaps, I am not 100 per cent sure, if they even have them, heaters, but in any case, the children are often cold.
If anyone,  reading this blog, wishes to help please drop me an e-mail or can send any of the following;-
·         Baby cardigans/jumpers
·         Socks/ tights (all age range) for both boys & girls
·         Hats, gloves, baby bonnets
·         Dresses, trousers, tops etc.,
·         Blankets
·         Good toys (not broken ones please & ensure all toys are in compliance with safety standards)
·         Christmas treats, sweets
·         Books & pencils
·         Shoes/ slippers (if possible)
It will be so good to make Christmas special for these little ones too.  Let us remember Christmas is for children. Whatever one is free and able to give will be appreciated. Items do not have to be brand new, second-hand is fine.
Address:
Catherine Sekwalor C/O VSO Malawi, VSO Office, Private Bag, B300 Lilongwe 3, Malawi or Catherine sekwalor C/O Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi, Anamwino House, PO Box 30361, Lilongwe 3
E-mail:
Zikomo Kwambiri (Thank you very much)
Catherine
Finally, please continue to support VSO cause by donating money to my justgive site.


No comments:

Post a Comment