Friday 19 September 2014

I don't take for granted my role at NMCM

Dear All,
 Muli bwanji nonse ? translates How are you all?
 
I am very well, very busy since my last e-mail back in May. Post election and Malawi is very much the same. Cash gate is very much alive and kicking with new cashgaters in government! The donors have tighten the purse strings and life in Malawi is not easy, in fact hard for the poor people of  Malawi.
The weather currently is beautiful and hot after a very long winter than usual. Finally, last  week the weather changed for the better. This however, means summer may be very short with the rains due next couple of months. This time last year we were enjoying very, very hot summer, this time round very cold. I have found myself going to bed with a hot water bottle in order to keep warm even my quilt from the UK couldn't keep me warm! if I am unable to keep warm can you imagine the poor people out there? Majority of Malawian houses are not built with heating and very few, may have a fireplace or an aircon which can be used as a form of heating blowing hot air. Or for the ones who can afford something slightly cheaper an electric heating. Otherwise lots of blankets, sleeping bag or a hot water bottle.
Life at Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi (NMCM),  has been very busy and as the Continuing Professional Development  (CPD) Advisor  very busy too. In April we conducted our licensure exams for the nurses and midwives. This is their final exams before they are entered on to the NMCM register and given a Pin number to legally practice as nurses and midwives.  Followed by another week of marking which took place in June.  As I write this mail the examiners are here putting together questions for the next exam which is due in October, this will takes us to December.
My Kasungu project is going well. Travelling each month to Kasungu to conduct CPD session with them.  It is not all plain sailing with challenges upon challenges  with the group.  An example, of this not wanting to have the lunch that is provided for them, but instead have the money as a form of an allowance. The allowance is another major problem hindering the progress of Malawi. Everyone wants an allowance to attend a workshop or training. Other than the challenges a great group and hope that at the end of this project attitudes will change and the Kasungu health professionals will make a difference to the care delivery of Kasungu district.
Last month I was in Salima, by the lake for five days, representing Council, working with UNICEF and Save the Children International, developing guideline for the neonate. Reduce neonatal morbidity and mortality, the MDG 4. We worked hard, but  at the same time had the opportunity to enjoy the sunshine, the lake and eat lots of fish.
I have purposely entitled  this mail as "I don't take it for granted my position at NMCM, the regulatory body. In the beginning of my placement I wasn't sure what my role entailed , all I knew I was to be the CPD Advisor,  for NMCM. A year on, and now I realise my role and the  immense power of my placement.  This awareness has made me to be mindful of what I do, the influence and the power that I have and entrusted to me as a result of my placement with NMCM. I am proud to be part of the regulatory board, setting standards to improve the delivery of health care to the people.
This became more apparently with my  recent trip to Ghana.  An exchange trip which I initiated and organised  through funding from VSO to learn from Ghana's CPD model.  What an experience! I never  thought I would have the opportunity of visiting Ghana, and be blessed, to celebrate my birthday in the country of my birth but also see and be with my family.
It was refreshing to be in Ghana, enjoying the wealth and not having to see every other car an NGO vehicle or the level of poverty as in Malawi. We found Nursing and Midwifery Council of Ghana (NMC G), to be very organised as a regulatory body and also very respected.  Ghana NMC  is both  proactive and financial self sufficient and not reliant on donor money to carry out  CPD and other activities. The attitudes of the nurses and midwives of Malawi is a big issue and as a result of the problem men, women and children die needless. From what  I have seen and observed I believe this to be a systemic problem stemming from childhood to adulthood. This is unfortunate  and very sad for a such a small and beautiful country. My Director and I came away from our trip to  Ghana with so much learning.  I came away with a better awareness of my role and the difference I am making/ have made so far. Our report is out and we hope to implement some of our findings in the CPD program.
I am therefore privileged and honoured to be here in Malawi, and to be part of the regulatory body of NMCM, working side by side with them and making a difference to the delivery of health care in Malawi. Despite  the challenges and the sacrifices,  I'm  truly enjoying being here and my placement as well.  It has indeed been a wonderful experience all  round,  to dine with the poor , with the least in society, to dining with a billionaires. Eating at the real local eating places  to eating in Lilongwe's only posh restaurant.
I have good  group of friends, ranging  from local to international. What a privilege it is to be here doing what I am doing, I feel my life has changed forever.  I know for a fact my returning  back to England will not be easy, adjusting back to western society, the stresses  of daily living will be indeed be hard. Bearing this in mind I shall be on the move again to another part of the world doing and enjoying what I do best, making a difference to the lives of others, the poor, and the vulnerable.
Finally, still running the afterschool/breakfast club on Saturday. The children have become more receptive and have developed a  positive attitude towards learning, taking their education much more seriously than ever before.  I wish I could provide them with more reading material and take them out on trips.  Many of the children have not seen the lake (photo of the children). An ex-VSO volunteer Herman was good at organising trips for the children. He  is funding the education for  two people, one child, a boy from the breakfast club  and my next  door neighbour's gardener. They miss him loads! I plan to do the same for at least two children from the breakfast club on my return back to the UK. This is why I don't take for granted my role and my position here in Malawi.
This is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment