Monday 17 March 2014

Christmas in Malawi

Christmas in Malawi

The rains have finally arrived bringing with it freshness and transformation of colours, from the red sand of Africa, to lush of green. Communities and work colleagues rushing to plant maize in their home village or in neighbouring fields close to home.  Everywhere you turn in Malawi is maize, maize in the fields, in the streets being sold by street vendors’ roasted maize, cooked maize.  Maize is Malawians’ stable diet, the cheapest form of food.
On the run up to Christmas I was involved in a number of activities which took me away from the office a relief from boredom.  I travelled to Mulanje in the southern part of Malawi. The view of mount Mulanje is indeed spectacular.   Mulanje is hosts vast acres of tea plantations, a truly spectacular view of the Mount Mulanje and tea plantations (special report on Mount Mulanje).
My trip to Mulanje a three day workshop organized by the nurses union, working on the development of an online ICT - Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for nurses in Malawi (See photos).  The concept is a good one however; the drawback for many nurses is poor internet access particularly in the rural areas. However, nurses participating in this program are given a smart phone on loan which they pay for on a monthly basis to the nurses’ union, enabling them to update their CPD skills & knowledge  Through ICT without having to travel to out of their area. The ICT- CPD has generated interests from a number of African countries, putting Malawi ahead with this new innovative learning technology.
 Mulanje was soon followed by giving an inspirational/motivational talk to a church youth group (photos), on how to be themselves.  I used  Wells Cathedral School’s motto “Esto Quod es” – “Be what you are”  inspiring  and motivating  young people, some of whom are vulnerable young people, dropping out of school simply because their parents can no longer afford to send them to school.  Others entering early marriage as a way out, however, end up in the cycle of poverty.  The talk I gave to the young people to take education seriously and persevere and not succumb to the pressure of dropping out of school.

Following this I was invited to do the teaching in a village church in Nanjiri just outside Lilongwe, an amazing opportunity of inspiring the local villagers to change mindsets and attitudes using scripture based teachings. On and on I went visiting an orphan feeding program run by an American couple on my compound, Zoe’s Place – “ “Rock Baptist Church, Dallas, Texas (see photos). The final event for the year, I attended ‘The Presidential Initiative on Maternal Health and Safe Motherhood’ conference, the event was opened by the Vice – President, Khumbo, Hastings Kachali Promoting maternal health reducing maternal deaths in Malawi – the Millennium Development Goal 5 (MDG5) See photos.


Christmas in Malawi was very different, a number of Malawians spend Christmas by the lake others travelled out, more especially the expats going back home to their respective countries.  Lilongwe was very quiet, busy on the run up to Christmas.  I hosted Christmas lunch with the help and support of my good neighbours.  We all came together, as a compound cooked and celebrated Christmas together 30 in total including invitees. It was different and at the same time a very special moment.
New Year, I was invited out to dinner by the couple from Belize City, to a   Chinese restaurant a nice change for me. I don’t often get the opportunity to go out to dinner in the evening. Travelling in Africa without a car is extremely difficult and can be dangerous at times as a foreigner; also the danger of being ripped off is high an everyday occurrence.  One price for Malawians and another price for foreigners such as myself, because we are perceived as being rich with never ending pocket full of money! However, if you find a good taxi driver and able to negotiate fares this is always an advantage for both of you. Meaning he is grateful for the business and one is happy for the continuity and reduction in fares.  I stayed up with another neighbor till 2pm to watch London celebrate the New Year.  Watching the celebration of 2014 in London was a happy moment. That particular moment I felt so homesick and wishing to be back in the UK. The next day again as we always do on our compound we had braai,  organised by me, I have earned the title and respect  of  bringing people together, and the  Chief Event Organiser (CEO), a great day even the rains couldn’t stop us from having fun, celebrating 1st of January, 2014 (see photos).
2014 so far has started with new ventures and opportunities. One sad event moving house again! This is my second move since arriving in Malawi, moving from posh to posher, area 11, closer to work, I can walk from my home to the office. The down side of course is the distance from the main shopping and market, my favourite places. No more walking to the shops or the market, instead I have to board a cramped mini bus just to go to the market. A chore and a hindrance and no longer fun! The sad part I shall be leaving behind the friends I have grown to love and counted as family, life will never be the same again. The parties will stop!! No more impromptus braais, and will have to start all over again establishing myself and making new friends too. One good thing this will broaden my horizon and enhance my Malawi experience further. 
Good news, I have been encouraged by those around me who have heard me speak to become a motivational/inspirational speaker.  I have been invited to speak at a women’s conference in May, which I am really excited with.  I have published another article in the Malawian newspaper, ‘The Importance of Naming a Child’, which was published in the Sunday edition of the ‘Nation’ Newspaper.  Malawians have habit of giving their newborn babies/child negative names.  Such names as ‘Failure; Pay Me; Trouble; 2 Kachwa (which is probably the equivalent to ½ pence or not even a cent in terms of US currency), Graveyard; We have received from the grave; Urinating; Endure/Enduring; Death’ the list goes on and on.  What chance does a child have when he or she is given such a negative name? A bad start in life for such innocent children I spoke to a mother who named a child ‘Failure’ explained the negative implications of such negative names and made her change her daughter’s name from ‘Failure to Miranda’, Miranda simply means ‘admirable’.  I also discovered a maid on our compound also named ‘Failure’, and again after much discussion with she also agreed to change her name to ‘Hadara’, meaning ‘beautiful ornament’ which my neighbor and I helped her choose. I am a woman on a mission to stamp out the practice of giving innocent children awful negative names!

No comments:

Post a Comment