Friday 2 August 2013

Day 3 At Lighthouse HIV/AIDS Counseling & Testing

LIGHTHOUSE
HIV/AIDS VOLUNTARY COUNSELING AND TESTING

Continuation of my Induction at Lighthouse
 Day 3
After my day in the community it was back to Lighthouse HQ meeting new faces observing more sessions.
Counseling an important part of Lighthouse delivery of care, the counseling process is in three stages;
Introduction, Pre testing counseling and post testing counseling;
I sat in counseling and testing session of a couple. With everything, I had witnessed and been exposed to so far did not prepared me for what was about to happen to me during the counseling session. I came out feeling wow! Whatever next!! I owe a lot to this couple they touched my heart, soul; mind, and attitude towards HIV/AIDS. I have learnt a lot about HIV/AIDs here in Malawi than in the UK.  Here in Malawi you see real life struggles, pain and real commitment.
The couple in question, in their thirties in a new relationship of just two months only, the woman pushed for the HIV test, which the partner agreed to.  During the counseling session, he admitted to the fact that he had already come for testing, the week before and awaiting the result of his test (an intensive test that takes a week or so to come through).
Stage 1: Introduction – takes the format of why you are here, and what you expect to get out of the session etc.
Stage2: Pre-testing counseling – takes the form of in depth discussion on sexual habits, i.e. risks use of condoms etc., discussions and outcome of the results.
Stage 3: Post-testing counseling - results revealed; if negative the way forward, an opportunity to change risky behavior, however, if the result is positive, discussion on feelings, the way forward and treatment.
The session was in Chichewa, which places me and other foreign nationals at a disadvantage of only getting the translated version.
After a long discussion at stage 2: the counselor asked both couples if they use a condom, to which the answer was ‘yes’. Next stage how to put on a condom correctly. The woman declined saying she did not know how to put a condom on a man. Boyfriend, (expert) said yes, suddenly a wooden penis appeared from nowhere. He was asked to demonstrate putting a condom on the wooden penis, removing it correctly, and discarding the condom. He got full marks. I learnt something I did not know, i.e., the woman should be the one to remove the condom after intercourse thus minimizing any sexually transmitted infection (STI).After the condom demonstration, we moved on to testing. Two tests carried out, a long agonizing waits followed by more discussions.
Stage 3: The agony of waiting is over! Joy and sadness all came at once for this couple.  He tested negative and she tested positive to HIV! Life can be so cruel, the very person who pushed for the test was the very one to be tested positive. What happened next changed me and left me dumbstruck!
The counselor asked the question “what are going to do now that you know each other’s results”? Boyfriend answered without hesitation, “I love her and I am going to stay and support her through her treatment, in good times and bad times.
After the session, the counselor and I concluded that the relationship perhaps might not last for simple reason it is a new 1 and just two months old. He may stay with her for a while then later leave her. During the session, he had already indicated his wish to marry and have children and this might not happen with her. I would like to think that he would stay with her and even consider marrying her. However, for now he is committed to staying and supporting her.  Two days later, I saw him at Lighthouse supporting her through her induction to treatment, which was nice.
Impact on my prejudices
How this experience changed me personally and any prejudices I held within me.  On a professional level, I do not have a problem in treating HIV patients. However, on a personal level I would never ever consider dating or marrying a man who is HIV positive. In fact, the thought had never entered my mind until I sat and witnessed this session. The session brought to surface my own prejudices I felt so ashamed of the prejudice I held within. That evening I went for a run to reflect and clear my head!  On a personal level, I can honestly now say dating or marrying a man who is HIV, would not be a problem. It is merely a prejudice of the mind. Possibly this is why I am here to rid myself of my inner prejudices and vulnerabilities. Being here has taught me a valuable lesson, women, though infected by their husbands or partners are still together having children though the children are exposed they have been tested negative and health.
The benefit of being in Malawi
Coming to Malawi was not the choice I would have made given the chance, but this is where I have found myself, I have come to terms with being here and can now say I am so glad to be here.


No comments:

Post a Comment